Covid 19 Update 15th April
EFNL MEDIA RELEASE
The Victorian Government recently announced that the current State of Emergency and Stage 3 restrictions, which commenced on the 31st of March, have been extended until midnight May 11.
That decision means there will be no change to the May 31 2020 season postponement date. This means that all club training, events, ground, and light usage remains suspended until further notice.
The Metropolitan Leagues will continue to work with the AFL and await the outcome of Government’s decision on the 11th May, as to whether restrictions will be maintained, reduced, or lifted and/or whether any exemptions would be made for community sport.
A half season commencing on the 13th of June or the 20th of June, should community football and netball be allowed to recommence, would be the most viable option for season 2020.
The Eastern Football Netball League remain committed to the health and wellbeing of its players, coaches, umpires, volunteers, and associated stakeholders and are steadfast about ensuring the long-term sustainability of all its clubs.
Recently a Covid-19 survey was sent to all Eastern Football Netball League clubs to help gauge their views on the current situation. We received 62 responses which provided the following key findings.
- 50% of Clubs answered YES to cancelling the season
- 87% of Junior Clubs answered YES to participating in Lightning Premiership or POOL type round robin competitions
- 44% of Clubs answered YES to cancelling the season
- 44% of clubs do not believe they will be financially capable of paying a tiered salary cap starting with a $50,000 as the maximum given the impact of COVID 19.
- 84% of clubs are supportive of lower player payment caps for season 2020, 2021 and 2022
A further update on season 2020 will be provided following the Metropolitan League CEO’s and AFL meeting on Tuesday 12th May 2020, which coincides with the decision on Victoria’s State of Emergency Stage 3 restrictions which as previously mentioned, is currently set to end at midnight on Monday the 11th May 2020.
Currently the Eastern Football Netball League office remains closed, but our staff are available by phone, zoom or email to provide ongoing support to our clubs.